My Grown Unschoolers
What I would have given to be able to pick the brain of a mom with grown unschoolers!? When my kids were growing up, I knew a couple of these families, but not too many. It’s so much more common now. This “new” wave of unschooled and homeschooled kids is hitting the ground running! And, I can happily tell you, these young adults are doing great!
We were a military family, moving every 3 years. We lived in San Antonio, North Carolina, Alaska, California, and then back to Texas. As children, my kids have lived on Air Force Bases, in the suburbs, and on a ranch. We didn’t use standardized testing or break life down into subjects. Our sole focus was to honor their strengths and help them work through any weaknesses they perceived. We worked hard to expose them to all sorts of opportunities – some they didn’t really “click” with, some they tried for a while, and some affected their lives forever.
- Involved with lots of Community service as a teen
- Earned the Eagle Scout Award
- Traveled to Japan as an Exchange Student at 16
- Prior work/employers: TxState Radio DJ, campus newspaper reporter, lifeguard, Target cashier
- Graduated from Texas State University, Magna Cum Laude Major: Journalism; Minor: Anthropology/Archaelogy. (Sometimes you just cannot take the Indiana Jones out of a boy!!)
- Hobbies: Scuba diving, traveling, writing, talking to people
- His Blog: In the Nica Time (although not blogging now)
- Joined the Peace Corps and served in Nicaragua for 2 years
- Married Kathya Aleman, from Nicaragua, in December 2013
- Returned to the U.S. and was hired as an executive director for Boy Scouts of America in Irving, Texas, where he sets up Explorer programs for youth.
- Bought a house in Irving, Texas.
- He and Kathya are enjoying life, exploring Dallas, raising two puppies Winnie and Lola.
- Started in Community Theatre at age 10
- Has done commercial work and the independent film, ButcherBoys
- Completed 3 semesters of community college
- Prior jobs/employers: Cinemark, Barnes & Noble, Applebees, Dance instructor
- As a teen, she liked writing fan fiction and performing
- Hobbies now: writing, singing, dance classes, Zumba, watching movies, shooting film
- Studied 1 year with the New York Film Academy (NYFA) in NYC
- Completed her 2nd year with NYFA in Los Angeles at Universal Studios receiving an Associate Degree in Fine Arts (Endings and Beginnings)
- Has a Facebook Fan Page: Kaitlin Jean Patterson
- Her goal is to be able to make a living in the acting industry. Katie’s IMDB
- Side jobs include dog walking in Burbank area and working nights at a Cat Rescue facility
- Currently living in Los Angeles area, working on various acting projects.
Cedar Park, Texas
- Worked as an Intern at an Organic Makeup store in Austin at 14
- Went to public high school briefly (sophomore & 1/2 of Junior year), making all A’s & B’s
- Competitive cheerleader for 1 year
- High School Dance Team for 1+ year
- Completed a 10 month Vidal Sassoon Cosmetology program (Avenue Five)
- Has her Cosmetology license, plus a variety of additional certifications (at age 18)
- Has had number of pets over the years. Her Siberian Husky (Gracie) lives with us.
- Hobbies changed over the years.
They were Animals, Pinterest, fishing, hair & make-up, dance.
Now: Concerts, music, friends, baby.
- Currently works at an upscale salon in Cedar Park, where she is the Training Director for stylists’ assistants and is a color specialist.
- Became a mommy to Jackson Cooper on March 21, 2015.